You are about to enter the world of Vancouver video production and you have no idea what to expect. You don’t even know if this is something that interests you or not. The only thing you do know is your work will be seen by thousands of people every day and it would seem that’s enough for you at least!
In order to prepare yourself for this new adventure, you need to start by getting familiar with some basic information about Vancouver video production in general. This article will provide you with all the necessary information so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to become a professional videographer.
About Video Kings:
Video Kings is a premier Vancouver video production company offering a variety of services including:
- Directing, Producing & Editing Videos for Commercials, Television & Film.
- Providing Videography Services For Private Parties, Events & Films.
- Creating And Shaping Footage With Digital Cameras.
- Shooting High Definition Video Of Your Work In A Professional Manner.
At any given time, the company has hundreds of satisfied customers without any outstanding complaints.
When you enter the world of Vancouver video production, you’ll be happy to know that you have a wide range of job opportunities from which to choose. You will find that as you become more skilled in your profession, you can make a career out of working for government agencies, private companies, and even operate your own business if you feel so inclined.
The industry as a whole is large and growing. Since the invention of television, video production has quietly become one of the most influential forms of popular media in existence. It is not uncommon for people to spend more time watching videos than interacting with other people in their lives. The average American for example watches television for about 2 hours and 45 minutes every day!
What Does a Video Producer Do?
In a broad sense, a Vancouver video producer can do just about anything as the job title applies to many different types of media. In the entertainment business, for example, a movie producer (also known as a film producer) is in charge of everything to do with a movie from the initial concepts and financing to the scriptwriting and casting. They are involved in every aspect of filmmaking from start to finish.
A music video producer on the other hand is in charge of creating videos for songs by recording artists. They direct the video and have creative input on all aspects of the final product. They work closely with musicians to help them realize their creative vision. A good music video can make the difference between a mediocre song becoming a hit or falling completely off the charts.
A scenic Vancouver video producer creates promotional videos for various areas of interest such as tourist attractions, vacation spots, business reviews, and more. They create videos of various locations which are then used for advertising purposes. These types of videos usually come with a narrative that describes the location and gives reasons why people should visit or consider doing business there.
What’s The Job Market Like?
The job market is very lucrative for all types of Vancouver video producers with multimedia networks being one of the fastest-growing areas for jobs. It isn’t uncommon for a well-qualified candidate to have a choice between several job offers at any given time.
This is certainly a great field to get into if you’re an adventurous type of person and don’t mind being on the road a lot. Many video production companies hire their workers out as independent contractors so they can work remotely from wherever there’s a story or assignment that needs to be done.
If you want to be in more of a studio-type setting, there are jobs available in that capacity as well. For the most part, though, the nature of this job usually requires long hours and plenty of travel so it’s not for everyone.
How Can You Get Ahead?
The sky is really the limit when it comes to how far you can go in this industry. There are people who choose to remain independent and work on a per-project basis. Others prefer the steady income and ongoing benefits that come with working for a larger company.
One of the best ways to ensure you make the most money for the work you do is to use your creativity wisely. A concept that’s unique and appealing will always be in demand so try not to get stuck in a rut doing the same things everyone else is doing.
If you’re interested in moving up in the ranks, dedication and hard work are essential.
Here are the keys of how to excel in this field:
- Education- Getting a degree in film, broadcasting, or video production will give you a huge advantage over the competition when you’re looking for that first job. The more schooling you have under your belt, the better your chance of being hired.
- Studios- If you already have experience and are looking to advance, a good way to do that is by getting an in with one of the major studios. Get to know people and make a good impression. It may take a while to get that first break, but it’ll be worth it when you finally do.
- Training- Taking special courses in subjects such as marketing, advertising, and human resources can give you insight into other areas of the business that may become available in the future. You’ll be that much more marketable if you’re able to do more than just direct and shoot videos.
- Working Conditions – When it comes to the actual work, there are a few common misconceptions about what the job entails. You don’t just sit around all day coming up with concepts for TV commercials or filming weddings. There is a lot of pre-production and post-production work that goes into every project you’ll be working on. And since this is visual media, you can bet it’s going to take longer than someone writing a newspaper article or even writing a book.
Some video producers are hardcore workaholics that can be found at the office late at night and on the weekends. Others create a balance between their work life and personal life. Either way, this is a job that requires long hours to get the job done.
- Entry-level positions typically require you to work on-site so if you’re not someone who can work well in a confined space with a lot of people all the time, you may want to reconsider your career choice!
For some people, the film industry is an exciting and glamorous career choice. For others, it’s a great way to meet interesting people and travel a lot.
If you’re one of the latter, this job might be for you! Between dealing with different personalities on a regular basis and having to negotiate for the best possible rate on locations, permits, and equipment, the reality may be very different from what you expected.
Make no mistake, this is an occupation where things don’t always go as planned, so it’s important to be flexible. If you want to be the director for the next blockbuster movie, or create that inspiring television commercial you’ve been dreaming about, there are many steps along the way you need to take to get there. Just make sure this is something you’re willing to commit to because it can be a little overwhelming at first.